Skip to content ↓

Medical Information

Accidents and Illness in School

If your child is ill during school hours, or has an accident, you will be notified as soon as possible.  

Up to date emergency contact details and telephone numbers are essential.  We require three 

emergency contact numbers.

We notify parents/carers if their child has had a bang or injury to the head and if an injury is serious enough to require an accident report to be sent to the Authority.

When your child starts school, you will be asked to give details of your address, telephone number, place of work etc., together with a friend's or neighbour's contact address and telephone number in case we are unable to reach you.  We will ask for you to update these at the beginning of each academic year.  If contact details change mid-year, please let us know as soon as you can.

If your child is ill then please inform us by telephone that morning. If we do not receive a reason for your child’s absence it may be marked as an unauthorised.  If you are unsure if your child is well enough to attend school then please send them to school.

Medical Conditions 

If your child has been diagnosed with a life long condition then please let us know immediately.  Depending on the condition, you may be asked to provide a letter from your GP or consultant to confirm the diagnosis.  This may result in you working with the school and other relevant professionals to write a Health Care Plan for your child to ensure that we are able to offer the best possible care and support for them whilst they are in school.


If, in exceptional circumstances, it is necessary for children to take medicine during school time, the following procedure applies:

  • Please tell the class teacher and then give the medicine to the School Office where you will be asked to fill in a form and sign it. The medicine will be stored in the School Office.

  • If there is no Administration Officer in the School Office when you go there, any other member of staff will be happy to provide you with a form. Whilst every effort will be made to make sure a child gets his/her medicine, we cannot accept responsibility if it is forgotten. Older children should be able to remember to ask for it.

  • If you are at all anxious that it will be forgotten, you are welcome to come into school and administer the medicine yourself.

Medicines will be given to children at school only under the following criteria:

  • The medicine must be clearly labelled with:-
    a). the child's name
    b). the name of the medicine
    c). the dosage required
    d). when the dose is to be taken

  • The medicine should be collected by the parent at the end of the school day.

We are unable to give aspirin based medicines such as Calpol unless they have been prescribed by your GP.

If your child receives regular medication to manage a life long condition please let us know so that we can put in place the necessary arrangements for administering their medication. This will again mean completing a form for the administering of medicines. However if your child is used to taking such medication, we may well only need to store it and supervise their self administering of the medicine.


If your child has asthma, they should have their own inhaler in school with them at all times which should be easily accessible for them.  We are now allowed to keep emergency salbutamol inhalers in school in case a child’s inhaler runs out.  We will administer the emergency inhalers if we have your permission.  This again means completing a permission form.  If we have used the emergency inhaler with a child you will receive notification from us.  REMEMBER these inhalers are for emergencies!  If your child uses an inhaler it is up to you to check that it is usable and in date.


We have a few children in school who are allergic to a number things including a variety of nuts, and some animals.  Please remember that for their safety and wellbeing we are a NUT FREE SCHOOL.

Also everyone likes to see new pets that children and families get but please try to warn us before bringing them into school so that we can inform those families whose children have allergies.


If you are unsure about any of the information above or want to discuss your child’s medical condition or medication then please get in touch with MRS BURNS or the office staff, who will be more than happy to discuss your concerns.